ALL SCI-FI Forum IndexALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Rocky Jones, Space Ranger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Rocky Jones, Space Ranger Reply with quote

I watched this wonderful show when I was a kid back in the 1950s. About the only thing I remember clearly are those cool scenes of the Orbit Jet landing majestically on its fins. Those scenes still look very impressive. The rocket descends smoothly, and the thrust flame emits no smoke which would make the rocket look like an obvious miniature.

This show is available on very low quality DVDs, but even these are extremely enjoyable for fans like me. Our hero and his loyal crew cruise around the solar system in their gorgeous rocket, and visit various planets. They fight to preserve the United Federation of Planets (the same used in Star Trek). They solve problems with brains rather than brawn (whenever possible).

If you’re old enough to remember this show, or you’ve become a fan more recently by watching the less-than-perfect DVDs, please share your views.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
WadeVC

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I have never seen a single episode, but I do have a couple of them on DVD which I do plan on popping into the ol' player before too long. I will let you know what I think then...but looking forward to them.
WadeVC

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the two episodes that I recently aquired, and I have to say that they were quite enjoyable!
sher-24
Starship Navigator

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Lost in Time and Lost in Space Reply with quote

I have vague memories of watching Rocky Jones, but none of seeing Captain Video or Flash Gordon.

None of the friends I grew up with remember the following shows, which seem to have been forgotten by everyone.

Memory Lane 1:
Anyone remember a kid's show called Johnny Jupiter? It featured a human being with a couple of hand pupperts, one of which was a robot and one of which was Johnny (I think).

Memory Lane 2:
How about the cartoon show Ruff and Ready (circa 1957)? One season was a running serial about their adventures on the planet Munimula (Aluminum spelled backwards).
Bud Brewster

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Yes, I remember! Reply with quote

I remember! Well . . . I remember one of them, anyway. Ruff and Ready was a show I watched as a kid. I even remember a bit of the theme song melody. But I don't remember much else about it. Afraid I don't remember Johnny Jupiter.

There's a bit of info on Ruff and Ready at the site below.

http://www.tv.com/the-ruff-and-ready-show/show/18872/summary.htm

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jonny Duffy

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Johnny Jupiter Reply with quote

First broadcast on the Dumont Network, JJ's premise was a human janitor in a TV station who could talk to Jovians. On the ABC version, it was a store clerk who dabbled in electronics. All the Jovians were puppets.
Bud Brewster

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Still hoping for a miracle Reply with quote

I'm still hoping that somebody will discover high-quality prints of this show and release them on DVD. I can only imagine how much I would enjoy a good DVD with a clear picture and good sound and no scratches. Sigh . . .

Bud
Jack Deth
Starship Navigator

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Rocky Jone, Space Ranger Reply with quote

I watched many episodes of this show on early morning/Saturday morning TV as a kid. Always thought the Orbit Jet was the coolest looking space ship, ever!

Though the Special Effects were minimal, they were well done and a quantum leap from the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon I'd first cut my teeth on. Smile

May have to contact www.Oldies.com and order up a serial or two on DVD Cool

Jack.
Bud Brewster

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Jack, we've found our common ground . . . Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll enjoy the less-than-perfect DVDs you'll get from any of the vendors who offer this great show. I've purchased every version of them which is currently available, and I've compared them carefully, hoping to find good versions amidst the bad.

Sadly, there seems to be nothing but bad versions . . . amidst even worse versions.

When you get your DVDs of this great show, don't be afraid to experiment with your TV's settings in hopes of finding a "sweet spot" which helps correct the badly flawed picture of these neglected and unappreciated gems from the past.

Bud Brewster . . . Space Ranger . . . Space Ranger . . . Space Ranger . . .
sher-24
Starship Navigator

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Go, Rocky Reply with quote

A couple of Rocky Jones featurettes, culled from the tv show, showed up on the Sci Fi Classics 50 Movie Pack, Crash of the Moons and Menace From Outer Space.

Despite its humble origins, there are some pleasant surprises. Some of the sfx are amazing intricate for a seminal science fiction tv show, particularly shots of a rocket landing strip on one of the moons viewed against a gaseous sky full of rocking and rolling clouds.

The space wheel in the first scene looks like a plastic toy from Woolworths Department Store, for which every 10-year old science fiction junkie in 1954 would have traded his entire collection of Red Ryder comics to own.

In the center of the space station is a tower, topped with a hollow tube like a handle on the aforementioned toy. In one of the most deliriously hilarious sequences, the space station encounters massive turbulance and Rocky Jones is forced to maneuver his rocket ship into the hollow tube so he can drive the space station away. You are never going to see anything comparable in a big budget feature.

There are two things I don't do. The first is kick a dog for any reason. The second is kick the memories I have of my early years when the world was new and everything was an exciting adventure.

Go, Rocky Jones!
Five
Space Ranger

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 this!

Here is my IMDB review of Crash of Moons

Quote:
3 out of 3 people found the following comment useful :-

Classic 1950s TV Sci-Fi Schlock Adventure, 29 August 2007
5/10
Author: mstomaso from Vulcan

Had this been a 1940s Sci-Fi serial, there would be no question about its place in sci-fi cinematic history. Instead, Crash of Moons - an assemblage of episodes from the 1954 Rocky Jones TV series - sits firmly in the 1950s sci-fi schlock category. Crash of Moons, and the rest of the Rocky Jones adventures, has a very strong serial feel to it, and is enjoyable for many of the same reasons the 1940s serials are still entertaining. For info on the original 1954 series from which this comes, see http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt0046639/

Jones (Richard Crane) is a space-ship captain who flies around the solar system with his improbably named navigator "Winky" (played by the ill-fated child prodigy Scotty Beckett) representing the United Worlds - an interplanetary political entity which has a very strong resemblance to Star Trek's federation. In Crash of Moons, Jones and Winky find themselves trying to deal with a pair of "gypsy moons" whose eccentric orbit is going to collapse, destroying them both. Of course, both moons are inhabited (I assume, by people who do not require consistent sunlight, food, energy sources, and an atmosphere), and one is presided over by dictator Cleolanta (Patty Parsons). Jones has a number of support personnel - an elderly science professor, The United Worlds' Secretary of Space, a lovely and smart young woman, and a child prodigy. They all pool their resources to avert the crisis, but Cleolanta has other plans.

Star Trek fans will find more than the United Worlds concept interesting - the Rocky Jones series also consistently cast women in positions of considerable power and responsibility - a bold move for 1950s TV.

The special effects are not at all bad for their time. Mostly, the effects involve miniatures and some creative imagery which merely suggest what they are meant to represent, but the effects scenes are all sewn and filmed together in a surprisingly classy way. The cinematography and directing are quite good for early TV.

The script is predictably silly, very inventively deploys technobabble, and has nothing whatsoever to do with science, or even real technology. It is therefore what one might expect had Star Trek Voyager been produced in the 1950s by the same writing team which created it in the 1990s.

The acting is serviceable for its intent - family TV viewing. Characterization is a bit light - even for heroes Jones and Winky - but this is not surprising since the film is really just an excerpt from a TV series.

I heartily recommend Crash of Moons for those interested in Sci-Fi TV history and B film addicts. Keep what this is intended to be in mind and keep your expectations low, and you just might have a good time with it!
Bud Brewster

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with your statements concerning the merits of this poor, "lost" show. I'm sure that all of us -- the ardent fans and the casual viewers -- would enjoy the show much more if the prints of it weren't in such horrible shape.

Hopefully our technology has progressed to the point were we no longer loose shows simply because somebody was too damned lazy to take care of them.
RobertDay
Galactic Explorer

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: A Rare Rocky Jones Picture Reply with quote

Here is a scene from Crash of the Moons:

Here is the same scene being filmed BUT IN COLOR!:

This is courtesy of Anne Francis who sent these to me. Her mom was dating Charles Meredith (Secretary Drake — the one in brown) at the time.

Also from her collection that she's giving me are these two pictures of Anne Robinson as Queen Juliandra; first in B&W:

Now a color shot:

For years Ms. Robinson lived down the block from Anne.

Just think! Anne Robinson 3 doors away, Sascha Brastoff next door Earl Holliman less than a mile away and Walt Pidgeon down the hill!
Five
Space Ranger

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great photos! Thanks for sharing them.
RobertDay
Galactic Explorer

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Concerning Winkie … Reply with quote

At my post above is one, albeit poor, picture.

Will these three do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: